Down filled comforters are generally considered the most luxurious option, but they have a number of drawbacks. Because down is made of duck and goose feathers, it comes with associated allergies. It also requires difficult after care, as dry cleaning is expensive and uses harsh chemicals that can have harmful long-term effects.
There are many alternatives to down on the market, but our down alternative here at MyOrganicSleep is derived from recycled plastic water bottles. The process begins in recycling centers, where batches of discarded plastic bottles are crushed into cubes. These blocks of plastic then undergo an intensive high pressure washing process to remove all dirt and contaminants. Cleansed and pure, the material gets melted. This liquid plastic is passed through a spinneret to form threads and injected with cold air to turn the material back into a solid. The fibers are finally crimped, chopped, and randomized for use as filling. The result is comparable to down in the way it fluffs up and retains heat, but more supple and heavy with a web-like mesh.
So why go for down alternative?
- Perfect for sensitive sleepers - fibers are hypoallergenic with a similar feel and bulkiness of regular down
- Free of animal products - not made of goose or duck feathers, making them perfect for vegan-minded sleepers
- Easy Care - durable fibers can be washed at any heat level and cycle (in a large enough washer and dryer) without damaging insulation qualities
- Affordable - the material is less expensive than comparable natural fibers
- Clean and Safe - the water bottles are made of FDA-approved food contact plastic that is intensely cleansed and processed - you won't find any residue in the material
- Eco-Friendly - use as down alternative fiber means fewer plastic bottles in landfills
- Breathable - down alternative has more air flow than down
Here at MyOrganicSleep, our Down Alternative Comforter is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a warm, bulky insulation free of allergens or animal products.