It’s no wonder most shoppers looking for a new mattress choose memory foam. Pressing your hand into the material and watching its imprint gently revert back in shape would win over any buyer. The problem with memory foam is in its construction.
Memory foam is a polyurethane made of made of many different chemicals that make it such good energy absorbers. However, most memory foam products have no accounting for the potentially harmful chemical sprays, additives, and synthetics used in the manufacturing process. Synthetic latex is a type of rubber constructed from many different synthetic materials that makes it the closest alternative to memory foam.
A third option is Natural Latex. This is the purest form of latex, sourced directly from the tree sap on rubber plantations. Most of our competitors harvest latex from countries near the equator, then process it in China. Here at MyOrganicSleep, we source our natural latex and process it in the same location. This saves transportation costs and reduces our carbon footprint.
So why choose natural latex over memory foam?
- Environmentally Conscious - Natural latex is the most eco-friendly choice, free of any harmful substances.
- Breathable - The unique Pin Core Design* mixed with air bubbles in the foam allow for a cool, ventilated sleep.
- Hypoallergenic - Natural latex is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to mold and dust mites, making it ideal for those with allergies or sensitive to chemicals.
- Responsive - Natural latex has a distinctive bouncy quality that pushes back more readily against pressure than memory foam. This prevents a feeling of sinking into the mattress that memory foam can have.
Fresh out the box, memory foam is guilty of off-gassing an unpleasant chemical smell from volatile organic compounds (VOC) used in the production process. Natural latex gives off a similarly odorous but harmless smell, as natural latex is a plant-based substance. It’s recommended that you air out your natural latex product for a few days to get rid of the smell.
What’s the difference between organic and natural latex?
- Organic Latex has received its certifications to be labeled “Organic." From seed selection to the final latex product, the production process is monitored in accordance with the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS). This means the seeds are GMO-free, soil and fertilizers used are free of toxicity, and every step of the production is documented and traceable. The result is a product made of over 95% organic, raw material.
- All-Natural Latex has the same production process as organic latex, but has gone through fewer and less intensive examinations. Products labeled “natural” are still nontoxic and free of synthetic additives.
*During the manufacturing process, liquid latex is poured into a mold with metal pins sticking upward. The latex is hardened into a solid shape around these pins, leaving behind holes for air to pass through.